Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

CSA inspired, Vegan, No Oil, Minestrone soup



I had a few leftover items from week ones bag of goodies.  I needed to figure out how to use the kohlrabi,   green peas, garlic scapes, and tomatoes.  I also had a bag of baby carrots and celery in the fridge that were nearly their expiration date.  I decided to make a vegetable soup.   Having never made a vegetable soup, I seriously just chopped veggies and tossed them in a pot, I figured I would taste test along the way.  


Ingredients
1 box of low sodium vegetable broth and
1 box of low sodium vegetable stock
(I honestly have no idea if there is any difference in the products other than brand name, feel free to drop a comment if you know)
3 Garlic scapes chopped small
2 cups of fresh green peas  (canned would be fine)
1/2 a white onion diced
1/2 a kohlrabi  sliced into small chunks
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery (2 bunches)
1 can of red beans rinsed
1 can of diced tomatoes with basil oregano and thyme
a added a pinch or two of the following spices
thyme
basil
oregano
rosemary

Toss everything in a big pot and let it simmer for a couple of hours on low heat, covered.   I cooked about half a box of whole wheat elbow macaroni and tossed it into the pot about 20 minutes before serving.












No comments:

Post a Comment